Lubanski's Summer Camp Selection Advice - Chicago Area Youth Hockey

Latest

This blog is dedicated to the discussion of youth hockey organizations, leagues, tournaments, and players in the Chicago area.

Contributors

BUY THIS BANNER AD 728X90

Monday, March 28, 2011

Lubanski's Summer Camp Selection Advice

No Bobby Orr, But You Can Still Find The Right Camp

By Paul Lubanski

     Hockey schools in general have certainly improved substantially since my visit to Bobby Orr's Hockey Camp in Orillia, Ontario so many years ago.

    Along with Orr, THE most famous hockey player in the world at that juncture, the camp featured Mike “Shakey” Walton of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Dale Tallon of the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit’s own netminder Jimmy Rutherford. For a full week's lodging, food and ice, I paid $125.00 of my hard-earned paper route money! The rink was literally an old tin-barn with no seating capacity but it was situated just 200 yards from beautiful Lake Simcoe, where we did have a few water activities, as I recall.

     Of course, the highlight of the week was the ONE time Bobby came on the ice and the ONE visit he made to our dormitory sleeping quarters – by the way, he arrived in a brand new yellow Corvette. For me, it was incredibly surreal to be standing next to the most recognizable hockey player in the world, but the story gets better.

     Orr singled me out after I actually roofed a shot, scoring from outside the left circle. Yes, I remember it clearly. He stopped the scrimmage and asked me my name and if I was American or Canadian. After I answered, he said: “Not many Americans in the NHL, but if you work hard you just may have a chance...”


     True story and one of the most memorable hockey-accented moments in my life to date still.

     Unfortunately, because of the dollars NHL players would command today, you will never see even an average NHLer at a typical hockey school. Or the above-detailed scenario play out for your youngster.

     And that is too bad.

     But, it does make researching and, ultimately, selecting the very best camp/school for your child even more critical. Yes, even though Bobby Orr or Patrick Kane will not be running a drill at a local summer ice school, there is still much benefit to be had by allowing your young player to attend.

     In this blog, I will offer advice as to how to find the best fit so that the time and investment made WILL prove to be of value in preparing for the fall 2011-2012 playing season.

     Okay, first, let's ask ourselves the following question: Are we seeking a position or skill-specific learning camp or simply one with a more generalized approach?

     Once that has been answered, it is time to begin the real homework: You must network for references or referrals to locate potential camps/schools that can fulfill your goals and needs. Keep in mind that there are many arenas in the metropolitan area that offer camps and schools, so I would make proximity to home a priority.

     I would then select a minimum of two possibilities and actually telephone the respective camp director of each, and play one off the other. Sample queries should include: What are instructors qualifications/experience levels? Can you provide a written list of stated goals and objectives for my player? Will you create and distribute a summary of the areas that my son/daughter needs to continue to work on? Additionally, can I secure a group attendance discount if I am able to bring along and enroll several teammates or friends?

     Also, does the camp provide food and/or beverages? Are there off-ice activities offered? If so, who supervises and exactly what are their specific qualifications?

     Your job continues once you settle on the proper-fit for your youngster because now it becomes time to become the proverbial squeaky wheel. By that I mean it will certainly pay to watch a few on-ice sessions in order to approach the instructors at an appropriate time during a break. This is where you make certain that the on-surface coach knows who your child is so that he/she pays “special” attention to his/her needs. Yes, as you undoubtedly already realize, good-old schmoozing does pay off in the hockey world, even at summer camp!

     In closing, I do hope that I have provided some sound counsel and advice that will help guide you in choosing your youngster's hockey school/camp for the upcoming summer.

    However, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at paul.lubanski@yahoo.com for more discussion.

     Best of luck...we'll see you at the rink.











You should follow CAYH Blog on twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment