2 Choice Rule: I'm Just Not That Into You - Chicago Area Youth Hockey

Latest

This blog is dedicated to the discussion of youth hockey organizations, leagues, tournaments, and players in the Chicago area.

Contributors

BUY THIS BANNER AD 728X90

Monday, October 4, 2010

2 Choice Rule: I'm Just Not That Into You

Dear Youth Hockey Club,


I'm just not that into you.  Yes, I screamed your name feverently during games and tournaments last season.  My son even has a bag and a warm up outfit with your logo on it.  But that was last season.  I was cheering for my son's TEAM, not for you.  You see, our family joined your club when my son was a PeeWee, after leaving that horrible place where he played Mite hockey.  Now he is a Bantam, and you don't really have a team at his level this year.


We were going to join the rest of our team in following our coach across the street.  I hear you jerked him around one too many times last year, and he is fed up.  Now they know they will have to wait until next year's major team to play for him again, but that's ok.


Unfortunately, my son can't play with his friends this year.  I've been told we can't go to this new club because of something called a 'two choice rule'.  Supposedly someone explained it to us when my son was a Mite, but I don't recall ever hearing about it before.


Regardless, we won't be coming back.  Oh, it's not you.  It's me.  We've had some good times together.  I just need my space.  Why must you make breaking up so hard to do?


My son is attending tryouts at a couple of AAA clubs in case our appeal falls through.




Best of luck this season,


Confused Hockey Dad

3 comments:

  1. The exact reason for the two choice rule. It's always about you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, and that's a fair point. As a rhetorical exercise, the letter was intended to be from the parent's point of view. This letter could just as easily been about the dad that had to move three times for work, or who lost his job and wanted to go somewhere with lower fees as a result.

    But don't you think that being haunted by a decision you made 6-7 years ago partially contributes to the massive loss of players at the bantam level? Again, I am not saying it is the sole factor, but football starts to look pretty good for the family in this predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the comment. If your new case was present there are ways to get your choice back. As told in the original story perhaps the family should start to look into playing football. Clearly the hockey club atmosphere isn't what they are looking for.

    ReplyDelete